Get paid to help build your union while learning valuable leadership and organizing skills.
Over the course of eight weeks, MLDP participants will help build our union by having hundreds of conversations with home care and personal support workers about the value of union membership and the importance of being involved members. Participants will receive classroom training and one on one field training from skilled organizers with a focus on developing and strengthening your leadership and organizing skills.
Entry into the MLDP is competitive, only those who submit applications will be considered and not all who apply will be selected. Past MLDP participants are welcome to apply and may be selected, but priority is given to first-time participants. Participation in the MLDP is not meant to be a pathway towards employment as union staff but rather as way to develop member leaders.
- Attend seven days of training at either the Portland or Salem field office (the location will be determined prior to the start of each wave). Lodging will be provided for people outside the Portland/Salem area.
- House visit care providers represented by but not yet members of SEIU 503 in an assigned geography near your home in order to:
- Identify workers’ issues and concerns
- Increase membership in our Union
- Expand our political action fund (CAPE)
- Identify potential activists and leaders
Requirements for participants:
- If you are a home care worker or personal support worker, it is your responsibility to find coverage and respite care for your client during the times you are participating in the MLDP
- You must have a reliable automobile, auto insurance, and a valid driver’s license and be able to drive several miles each day.
- You must be able to work a full 40, scheduled hours per week.
- You must be able to effectively work independently.
- You must be able to accurately track and report work activities and participate in all scheduled trainings, meetings, and conference calls.
This is a paid program, you will be paid replacement wages or $17.00 per hour, whichever is greater. You will be paid COBRA reimbursements, if necessary, for your work-related health care coverage to continue for the full duration of the program. In addition, you will receive the equivalent of the pension contribution paid by your SEIU-represented employer. You will also be paid mileage at the full IRS rate for all non-commute miles driven during the program.
The work schedule will primarily be Tuesday through Friday, 11:30am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 5:30pm except the first week of the program, which will be largely classroom-based and field training. The first week schedule will be Monday through Friday, 9am to 5:30pm. There will be a couple of additional training days in the final week of the program and that schedule will also by 9am to 5:30pm. Exact schedule and training location will be shared before the start of the program.
In addition to initial training, participants will be supported with daily check-in calls with an organizer as well additional one on one field training throughout the program.
2018 Member Leadership Development Program (MLDP) Application