Welcome to the 2020 (virtual) General Council!
Resolution results are in! General Council delegates set us on a bold new path to strengthen representation, grow our union, and meet the challenges that will define our lives for years to come.
Keynote Speaker: Rocio Sáenz, SEIU International Executive Vice President
Rocio Sáenz was elected SEIU International Executive Vice President in September 2013 and is now serving her second term. Sáenz has advocated for workers’ rights and community empowerment most of her adult life. She emigrated from Mexico to Los Angeles, where she initially worked low-wage jobs. Sáenz became an organizer for SEIU’s Justice for Janitors campaign in 1988, and she was part of a team that led a successful campaign to organize L.A. janitors. Read more.
General Council 2020 Online Resources
- August 10: Updated Committee Resolutions with committee reports and pro/con statements are now available here.
- August 6: Committee meetings are a wrap! Tune in tomorrow at 9 AM to hear reports from the committee chairs. In the afternoon, we will conclude General Council with a presentation on the budget and information on the next round of voting.
- August 5: Do you need to exchange your GC 2020 jacket? Here’s the exchange form.
- August 5: Committee meetings for the Bylaws and Employee Representation committee are tonight at 6. Click here to see when the resolutions you are most interested in will be debated.
- August 4: The first round of committee meetings are a wrap! For the first time in our union’s history, members came together virtually to move resolutions through the General Council process. Very cool. 🙂
- August 3: Thanks for joining us for the opening program. The content from that program will be posted here in the coming days. We’re moving into committee meetings this week. See you there!
- August 2: The schedule for committees and resolutions is now finalized. Click here to see when the resolutions you are most interested in will be debated.
- August 2: Tonight is Opening Program! We will hear speeches from our President, Executive Director and Treasurer, in addition to a special presentation from our union’s Equity & Inclusion Committee.
- July 29: Early resolution votes are in! Check out the results here.
- July 27: Voting on early resolutions is open. Download resolutions with financial impact statements (top of each resolution) as well as pro/con statements (following each resolution). This link is also included in the voting email.
- July 27: Voting on early resolutions opens today! Expect an email in the late afternoon with all the information you will need and a text reminder the following day.
- July 26: We just completed our orientation event! Now the real fun starts.
- July 24: Today is the last day to submit pro/con statements for early resolutions.
- July 23: Rules votes are due at 11:59 PM today. Pro/Con statements for early resolutions are due by 11:59 tomorrow.
- July 22: Rules Vote- Today delegates received an email with instructions for voting on the rules of General Council.
- July 19: Reminder – The vote on the rules will open via email on July 22.
- July 18: Delegates received access to submit pro/con statements for early resolutions via email.
General Council events are a wrap! However there are two votes remaining.
Vote #3 Committee resolutions | August 11 to August 12 at 11:59 PM
Vote #4 Budget | August 14 to August 15 at 11:59 PM
This year, the votes on resolutions and the budget will be conducted online. On the date of the vote, you will receive an email with a link to the ballot and a unique ID. Votes will be due the following day at 11:59 PM. If you have issues accessing your ballot please call the Member Assistance Center at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348).
Vote #1 Rules | July 22 – July 23 at 11:59 PM
- Rules were passed. You can view them here.
Vote #2 Early resolutions | July 27 – July 28 at 11:59 PM
- Early resolution results are in. You can view them here.
Online GC! How will that work? We’ve held orientations to help answer that question. If you missed the orientations, click here to watch a recording.
If you have a question, check the FAQ below, or call the Member Assistance Center at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348) at anytime during General Council.
Frequently Asked Questions
Translation & Interpretation
General Council is a multilingual event. If you need assistance accessing events and materials please call the Member Assistance Center at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348).