Member Leadership Development Program
SEIU 503’s Member Leadership Development Program is a volunteer and paid program for new and emerging union leaders. Over the course of eight weeks, trainees in this program will attend classroom sessions that will focus on developing and strengthening leadership skills. In addition, they will be able to practice those skills through working with other members on current union issues and campaigns. The program runs in several “waves” throughout the year. Entry into the MLDP is competitive, only those who submit applications will be considered.
- Attend seven days of training at the Portland field office. Lodging will be provided for people outside the Portland area.
- House visit care providers represented by but not yet members of SEIU 503 and attend New Employee Orientations (NEO) in an assigned geography near your home in order to:
- Identify workers’ issues and concerns
- Increase membership in our Union
- Expand our political action fund (CAPE)
- Identify potential activists and leaders
Requirements for participants:
- If you are a home care worker or personal support worker, it is your responsibility to find coverage and respite care for your client during the times you are participating in the MLDP
- You must have a reliable automobile, auto insurance, and a valid driver’s license and be able to drive several miles each day.
- You must be able to work a full 40, scheduled hours per week.
- You must be able to effectively work independently.
- You must be able to accurately track and report work activities and participate in all scheduled trainings, meetings, and conference calls.
This is a paid program, you will be paid replacement wages or $18.00 per hour, whichever is greater. You will be paid COBRA reimbursements, if necessary, for your work-related health care coverage to continue for the full duration of the program. In addition, you will receive the equivalent of the pension contribution paid by your SEIU-represented employer. You will also be paid mileage at the full IRS rate for all non-commute miles driven during the program.
The work schedule will primarily be Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 8pm except the first week of the program, which will be largely classroom-based and field training. The first week schedule will be Sunday through Thursday, 9am to 5:30pm. There will be a couple of additional training days in the final week of the program. Exact schedule and training location will be shared before the start of the program.
In addition to initial training, participants will be supported with daily check-in calls with an organizer as well as additional one on one field training throughout the program.
SEIU 503 Care Provider Member Leadership Development Program (MLDP) Application 2020