SEIU 503 is working quickly to make sure that workers’ voices are not ignored as employers, government agencies and policy makers roll out COVID-19 plans. It’s times like these that we’re thankful we have a strong union that can respond and make sure our voices are heard.
Do you need medical grade PPE? DHS has limited supplies and our Union is helping collect the names of people who need it, so we can push the Agency to prioritize PPE for workers who need it.
如果您想要在DHS办公室取得个人防护用品后与您通知请填此表。Por favor complete este formulario si quisiera recibir equipos de protección personal cuando los mismos estén disponibles en el Departamento de Servicios Humanos (DHS). Пожалуйста, заполните форму, если вы хотите получить средства индивидуальной защиты, когда они станут доступны в DHS. Fadlan buuxi foomka haddii aad jeceshahay inaad hesho qalab-ilaalin shaqsiyeed marka laga heli karo DHS.
Submit your voucher online
If you usually use paper vouchers, you can now use a secure online system that our Union set up. We pushed DHS to adopt this system in order to keep workers safe. Click here to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I can’t work. Will I lose benefits or pay? A: You will not lose your benefits. the Trust has agreed not to cancel anyone’s benefits – dental, vision or healthcare – through June. If you’re not getting hours because you or your client has COVID-19, or if you have to stay at home to care for your child due to school or daycare closure, you have some protections. First, if you’re eligible for paid time off benefits, you can apply for an emergency hardship payment. Apply by calling the Member Assistance Center at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348). Second, you may also file for unemployment even if you’re just waiting for things to settle down so you can get your hours back. Claims can be filed at Oregon.gov/employ or by calling 1-877-FILE-4-UI (1-877-345-3484).
Q: Where can I find personal protective equipment (PPE)? A: There is currently a nationwide shortage of PPE. Our Union signed an agreement with DHS to ensure that as soon as they have PPE, it will be made available to you. Unfortunately, DHS is finding it just has hard as everyone else to procure supplies.
Q: Do homecare workers need documentation or proof that they are healthcare workers to travel to clients houses, shop for clients or do other errands during the shelter in place order? A: No. You may continue to do your jobs as normal without fear of violating the order. If you feel more comfortable having a document, you may access one in the Essential Worker Form section below.
Q: Will I lose my provider number for missing work? A: No. Our Union reached an agreement with DHS to prevent any worker from losing their provider number due to COVID-19 related work stoppages. If you are not able to work for any related reason, please notify your case manager.
Need respite care? Click here to view a list of SEIU members who are available to pick up hours. Need more work? Click here to submit your information to the respite care list.
PTO for missed hours
The Oregon Homecare Workers Benefit Trust will provide a Hardship Paid Time Off benefit for workers impacted by COVID-19 because of the huge impact that COVID-19 is having on our communities. Click here for more information or call 1-844-503-SEIU (7348).
If you are continuing to work during this public health emergency and need child care, please call 211info to get connected with a provider as soon as possible. We’ve put together a guide for SEIU members who are trying to apply.
Governor Brown has issued an executive order loosening the rules around unemployment to help people who are quarantined or temporarily out of work due to COVID-19 – this includes people who need to stay at home to care for a child. Claims can be filed at Oregon.gov/employ or by calling 1-877-FILE-4-UI (1-877-345-3484).
Click here to download our explainer on how homecare and personal support workers should file for unemployment.
Instrucciones para Trabajadores de Cuidado en el Hogar y Trabajadores de Apoyo Personal acerca de como aplicar para el beneficio de desempleo
Как подать заявление на получение пособия по безработице для работников по уходу на дому и работников личной поддержки.
Essential Worker Form
You do not need to show documents to continue going about your daily routine during the shelter in place order. However, if you feel more comfortable having an essential worker document, you may access one here.
Letter of Agreement with DHS
SEIU 503 has signed a letter of agreement – which is like a short-term contract – laying out rules for homecare and personal support workers during this crisis.
Click here to read the full Letter of Agreement.
Carta de Acuerdo firmada con el estado durante COVID-19 para Trabajadores de Cuidado en el Hogar y Trabajadores de Apoyo Personal.
خطاب اتفاق مع الدولة خلال COVID-19 لعمال الرعاية المنزلية وعمال الدعم الشخصي.
Письмо-соглашение с штатом Орегон во время COVID-19 для работников по уходу на дому и работников личной поддержки.
- No homecare or PSW will lose their provider number for missing work due to COVID-19. If you test positive or have symptoms, call the local DHS office or case management entity.
- DHS will prior-authorize short term overtime when there’s a need, such as a lack of workers to cover hours. Workers should contact their local DHS office for overtime authorization.
- DHS will notify workers if they have been exposed to the virus.
- Workers will be able to email vouchers.
- DHS will waive the requirement to get a consumer signature on vouchers if the worker or consumer have been exposed or show symptoms of COVID-19.
Community Resource Guide
With information on state and county resources, food assistance, low cost healthcare, childcare and more, our resource guide is an attempt to pull together all the resources in the state that are available to people impacted by COVID-19.
Employee Assistance Program
If you are eligible for benefits through the Benefit Trust, you also have access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The EAP provides resources to help you in your personal life, from meeting health goals to getting your household finances in order. EAP services are free to you and include 24-hour crisis help, up to five face-to-face counseling sessions for every 12 months (per issue), online mental health consultations, access to discounted legal and financial services, and more.
You can access services by visiting ibhsolutions.com or calling 1-866-750-1327. Your access code is: OHWBT.
Fact Sheets & Information
- Oregon Health Authority has published a fact sheet specifically for homecare workers.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): There is a critical shortage of PPE in Oregon and around the county. Governor Kate Brown directed all Oregon hospitals, outpatient clinics, and health care providers, including veterinarians and dentists, to cease all non-emergency procedures, in order to preserve personal protective equipment (PPE), such as surgical masks, gowns, and gloves, for health care workers treating COVID-19 patients. We are doing everything we can to fight for access. Please contact your organizer if you don’t have access to PPE. Every story helps us advocate.
- 211 is the go-to public phone number to get information about Novel Coronavirus and referrals to programs for food, shelter, health care and more. CALL 211 or 1-866-698-6155; TEXT your zip code to 898211 (TXT211); EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the Oregon Health Authority’s COVID-19 website for weekly public updates about how many people are being monitored in Oregon, as well as sharing updates about how Oregon families can help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
- Governor Kate Brown is posting updated news and resources, including the latest information on school and business closures, on her official website.
- Ten Steps for preventing Coronavirus
Diez pasos para prevenir el Coronavirus