SEIU 503 is working quickly to make sure that workers’ voices are not ignored as employers, government agencies and policy makers roll out COVID-19 plans. Things are changing rapidly and we are doing our best to keep everyone up-to-date.
It’s times like these that we’re thankful we have a strong union that can respond and make sure our voices are heard.
Letters of Agreement on COVID-19
Governor Brown has issued an executive order loosening the rules around unemployment to help people who are quarantined or temporarily out of work due to COVID-19 – this includes people who need to stay at home to care for a child. Claims can be filed at Oregon.gov/employ or by calling 1-877-FILE-4-UI (1-877-345-3484).
Family First Coronavirus Response Act: Paid Leave
On April 1, 2020 a new federal law will go into effect that millions of workers the right to take paid sick leave and paid family medical leave to deal with the Coronavirus. However, due to pressure from corporate interests, and some politicians, the law leaves out many workers. Click here to see if you can benefit.
SEIU 503 Member Hardship Fund
In times of need, we’re stronger if we pull together and lift each other up. That’s why our Union created a COVID-19 hardship fund to provide cash assistance to any SEIU member who has faced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 public health crisis. Any SEIU member (or sub-local) may donate to the fund, and all members in good standing are eligible to receive funds.
If you are continuing to work during this public health emergency and need child care, please call 211info to get connected with a provider as soon as possible. We’ve put together a guide for SEIU members who are trying to apply.
Community Resource Guide
With information on state and county resources, food assistance, low cost healthcare, childcare and more, our resource guide is an attempt to pull together all the resources in the state that are available to people impacted by COVID-19.
Membership Advantages resources for Covid-19
Membership Advantages are only available to SEIU 503 members.
Members who have LifeMap short term disability insurance through SEIU 503 can file a claim if they contract Covid-19 or a quarantine is imposed on them. Please note that a waiting period of 3 weeks applies before benefits begin. Claims may require formal documentation from a health agency.
Do you have student loans and have seen a disruption to your income as a result of Covid-19? The SEIUMB Student Loan Forgiveness Navigator may be able to help reduce your student loan payments. SmartSavings also offers discounts on online therapy and health programs, educational programs for kids, entertainment and food delivery.
For additional information contact our Member Assistance Center at (844) 503-SEIU (7348).
- Each university has put up websites with campus-specific information.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): There is a critical shortage of PPE in Oregon and around the county. Governor Kate Brown directed all Oregon hospitals, outpatient clinics, and health care providers, including veterinarians and dentists, to cease all non-emergency procedures, in order to preserve personal protective equipment (PPE), such as surgical masks, gowns, and gloves, for health care workers treating COVID-19 patients. We are doing everything we can to fight for access. Please contact your organizer if you don’t have access to PPE. Every story helps us advocate.
- 211 is the go-to public phone number to get information about Novel Coronavirus and referrals to programs for food, shelter, health care and more. CALL 211 or 1-866-698-6155; TEXT your zip code to 898211 (TXT211); EMAIL email@example.com.
- Visit the Oregon Health Authority’s COVID-19 website for weekly public updates about how many people are being monitored in Oregon, as well as updates on how Oregon families can help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
- Governor Kate Brown is posting updated news and resources, including the latest information on school and business closures, on her official website.
- Ten Steps for preventing Coronavirus: in English and Spanish