Published: March 18, 2020


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need to get the COVID-19 vaccine? 

A: University workers and administration reached an agreement the COVID-19 vaccine in August. University employers will be required to be fully vaccinated, with exemptions and accommodations bargained for by your union.  

Q: I’m at home because I was sent home by my employer, self-quarantined or medically mandated quarantine. Will I get paid?

A: Yes. You will be able to use the 80 hours of emergency paid leave in the letter of agreement we signed with the universities. See details below.

Q: If I run out of leave, can I file for unemployment?

A: Yes. If you’ve exhausted the 80 hours of emergency leave and your own leave, you should file for unemployment. You do not need to be looking for work to qualify. See the unemployment section below for more information on how to apply.

Q: I’m considered essential staff but I am in an “at risk” group (age, immunocompromised, etc) and would like to use leave to avoid exposure. Can I use leave even if I’m essential staff?

A: Yes. Your supervisor should allow you to take leave. If your supervisor isn’t working with you to allow you to take the time off please contact your union steward or call us at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348).

Have a question you don’t see answered? Submit it here. 

Child Care

If you are continuing to work during this public health emergency and need child care, please call 211info to get connected with a provider as soon as possible. We’ve put together a guide for SEIU members who are trying to apply.

Healthcare and PEBB Benefits

PEBB members may receive $100 for getting their vaccine. Additional information is available here.

PEBB has enacted a rule during the COVID state of emergency. For this period of time, you do not have to work 80 hours within the current month to have your health coverage extended through the end of the following month. This is to ensure that people on leave are not at risk of losing their benefits. PEBB also has a number of resources available through the Cascade Centers (EAP) that can help support members and their families.

Additional Resources