Member Leadership Development Program
SEIU 503’s Member Leadership Development Program is a volunteer and paid program for new and emerging union leaders. Over the course of six to eight weeks, trainees in this program will attend classroom sessions that will focus on developing and strengthening leadership skills. In addition, they will be able to practice those skills through working with other members on current union issues and campaigns. The program runs in several “waves” throughout the year. Entry into the MLDP is competitive, only those who submit applications will be considered.
- Attend seven days of training at the Portland field office. Lodging will be provided for people outside the Portland area.
- Learn critical union skills that are specific to the wave you are working on.
- Work in the field directly with members on issues ranging from new member orientation, contract enforcement, or political mobilization.
What Programs are Available This Year?
- State Worker Member Organizing Program: Learn about the State Worker MLDP Program and how to apply!
- 2021 Homecare Bilingual Member Organizer Program: We are currently recruiting bilingual members to participate in a 3-month long Member Organizer program with the purpose of bridging your community and your union. Learn more and apply here.
- Care Provider New Employee Orientations: Virtual part-time Carewell class – new employee orientations for Homecare and personal support workers. More information coming soon!
Glendora Claybrooks, Homecare Worker
“Every action begins with the courage of a leader to recognize and improve programmatic services for the population it serves.”
Pam Dyer, Homecare Worker
“The Member Leadership Development Program will launch you to action on a huge scale.”
Ming Chen, Personal Support Worker
"With all the union has done, I was happy to help build its potential.”
Renee Austin, Homecare Worker
“I learned about my union and how homecare can be even better.”
Sharonne Vincent, Homecare Worker
"Connecting with homecare workers built my confidence to build the union!"
Tania Canier, Homecare Worker
"I learned so much by talking with homecare workers and building the union!"