Published: December 23, 2020

This information is for employees at State agencies and may not be accurate for other SEIU Members. 

Update: On December 30, we signed a new letter of agreement – a short-term agreement focused on a particular issue – to expand the paid leave options we have available to us in early 2021.

Here are the key updates: 

  1. State workers may use Oregon Family Leave Act (payroll code CXT) during the month of January for childcare purposes. Normally, Oregon Family Leave is unpaid, however our agreement with the State is for these hours to be paid in full.

  2. We won an extension of the 80 hours emergency paid leave from our previous letter of agreement (payroll code CV). This leave may now  be used as needed through January for COVID-related absences as defined in the letter of agreement. 

Click here to read the full LOA

If the leave provided by the new LOA is insufficient, you still have options. 

  1. Paid Time Off: You may use any PTO, including sick time. SEIU 503 signed a Letter of Agreement (LOA) to ensure that you had this flexibility through June 31, 2021.
  2. Unpaid Leave: The Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA) is a state-level option similar to the now-expired federal program. This program allows employees, with at least six months on the job, to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave. Your job and benefits will be protected during this time. OFLA can be used for childcare due to school closure. 
  3. Leave Without Pay: There is also an option for simply taking Leave Without Pay if you have run out of OFLA related leave. Leave Without Pay is protected under our LOA and will allow you to keep benefits like healthcare, and return to full employment when you are able. If you enter leave without pay status you may be eligible for unemployment benefits, and are encouraged to apply.

These leave options are available for people who have been exposed to Covid-19 and have been told to quarantine by a healthcare provider, as well as those who need to care for children resulting from school closures.

If you were exposed to COVID-19 while on the job, file a workers compensation claim with OSHA

Visit for additional information or call the Member Assistance Center at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348).