Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will I have to get a COVID-19 vaccine to continue working for the State?
A: With some exemptions, yes. On August 10 Governor Brown announced a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for state employees. You can read more about the mandate here.
Q: Are masks required in state offices?
A: Yes. All state offices will require employees and visitors to wear masks at all time until further notice. This goes for everyone, regardless of vaccination status. However this does not apply to the Legislature or offices of statewide elected officials such as the Department of Justice.
Q: Are people going to get hazard pay?
A: Yes. See the latest contract update at Seiu503.org/IAmEssential for details.
Q: How do I appeal a Telework denial?
A: You can use this form (needs to be downloaded) to file an appeal with the Labor Relations Unit or call our Member Assistance Center at 1-844-503-SEIU (7348) for help filing an appeal.
Governor Brown has issued an executive order loosening the rules around unemployment to help people who are quarantined or temporarily out of work due to COVID-19 – this includes people who need to stay at home to care for a child. Claims can be filed at Oregon.gov/employ or by calling 1-877-FILE-4-UI (1-877-345-3484).
Healthcare and PEBB Benefits
PEBB members may receive $100 for getting their vaccine. Additional information is available here.
PEBB has enacted a rule during the COVID state of emergency. For this period of time, you do not have to work 80 hours within the current month to have your health coverage extended through the end of the following month. This is to ensure that people on leave are not at risk of losing their benefits. PEBB also has a number of resources available through the Cascade Centers (EAP) that can help support members and their families.
If you are continuing to work during this public health emergency and need child care, please call 211info to get connected with a provider as soon as possible. We’ve put together a guide for SEIU members who are trying to apply.
- State agency employees should click here for updates from their employers.
- 211 is the go-to public phone number to get information about Novel Coronavirus and referrals to programs for food, shelter, health care and more. CALL 211 or 1-866-698-6155; TEXT your zip code to 898211 (TXT211); EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org.
- State workers have access to free crisis counseling through cascade centers employees assistance centers. Call: 800-433-2320 -Text: 503-850-7721 – Email: email@example.com.
- Visit the Oregon Health Authority’s COVID-19 website for weekly public updates about how many people are being monitored in Oregon, as well as sharing updates about how Oregon families can help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
- Governor Kate Brown is posting updated news and resources, including the latest information on school and business closures, on her official website.
- Ten Steps for preventing Coronavirus: in English and Spanish