In 2021, state employees are bargaining a new contract that covers wages, benefits, and workplace conditions like safety, telework and more.
SEIU 503 is a member-run union. Members elect a bargaining team of their peers every two years. With legal, negotiation and logistical support from union staff, your bargaining team fights to make sure your priorities are reflected in the final contract.
- Wages. The state budget is in better shape than anyone thought a year ago. That is in large part because essential workers did their jobs through the pandemic and wildfires, and kept our state running. We’re fighting for steps and COLAs to keep our wages competitive.
- Benefits. State employees have great healthcare and retirement benefits. While we don’t expect any attacks on those benefits, holding the line is always a top priority.
- COVID Protections.. We keep Oregon working – even through a pandemic. Expanding telework for as many workers as possible and providing adequate safety measures and hazard pay for those who can’t do their job from home is a top priority. The State must respect us, protect us and pay us.
- The Next Big Thing. Whether it's another pandemic, the next wildfire season, or an earthquake, we know it will happen eventually. One thing we learned from COVID is that we must be prepared to continue providing essential services to Oregonians, but we also must protect and respect our members. We want to ensure that when the next disaster happens, we have systems in place to keep workers protected and paid fairly for the work they do during these challenging circumstances.
- Equity. Every SEIU member deserves a fair shot regardless of the color of their skin, their zip code, or the language they speak. In bargaining we have the opportunity to lift up employees whose communities are underrepresented or ignored.
Take action to support the campaign
- Sign this Petition that asks the State of Oregon to recognize the hard work State Workers do to provide vital services to Oregonians.
- Stay up to date by joining our SEIU Local 503 State Employee Facebook group!
- Sign the pledge to support the campaign
- Find other ways to support your co-workers in winning a strong contract, including social media posts, profile picture frames, zoom backgrounds, and other options in the Digital Action Toolkit.
Timeline & Process
We bargain our contract in two steps. The first are “coalition tables” – groups of agencies where we bargain over workplace conditions and policies specific to your agency. The coalitions are:
- Human Services: DHS, OHA and OED.
- ODOT Coalition: ODOT, DMV, ODFW, ODF, OPRD, OWRD, ODA and DOGAMI.
- Specials Coalition: ODE, OSL, OST, DAS, Commission for the Blind, PERS, DOJ, OHCS, TSPC, DOR, DCBS, BOLI, DVA, WCB, HECC and the Licensing Boards.
- Institutions Coalition: OSH, OYA, Pendleton Cottage
The “Central Table” negotiates with DAS over major statewide issues like wages, benefits and policies that impact all agencies.
This spring, we will begin negotiations with management. You will receive regular bargaining updates from your coalition table and the central table. Negotiations usually settle with a “tentative agreement” in the summer. Then you vote on the contract. It isn’t final until it’s approved by a majority of voting members.